TMZ's Harvey Levin: 'graphic and chilling' Guthrie ransom note addresses media
Published in News & Features
TMZ founder Harvey Levin is shedding light on the “more graphic and chilling” details of the latest alleged ransom note the outlet has received regarding the abduction of “TODAY” show host Savannah Guthrie’s mom, Nancy Guthrie — the reward for which is now over $200,000, both from the FBI and private donors.
The 75-year-old journalist and lawyer told CNN Wednesday that the demand received by TMZ, which had already received at least four notes seeking a reward or ransom, was “a really sophisticated note” given “the manner in which they’re asking for the money.”
“Honestly, I had to get somebody to help translate it for me,” said Levin of the notice, which is “a little more graphic and chilling than the previous one. … I think it’s very clear that whoever’s sending all of these notes to us, both the ransom notes and the people asking for the reward, they hear what’s going on, they read what’s going on. And this person specifically addresses media coverage.”
The new letter “involves a demand for … a different type of crypto” than Bitcoin but “roughly the same amount” as the $6 million first sought.
“And they graphically describe the consequences if they’re not paid,” said Levin, who was advised by the FBI “not to be specific about this.”
“The way it works is that the money will automatically go into this account if certain things happen. And it actually involves the media too, in terms of what the media puts out. But it’s a very sophisticated way of doing it where one thing triggers another, triggers another,” said Levin. “It’s beyond my level of knowledge.”
The reference to “consequences,” he said, infers but does not confirm proof of life.
Guthrie, 84, was last seen at her Tucson, Ariz. home the evening of Jan. 31 and reported missing the following day, with authorities quickly dubbing her disappearance an abduction. Since then, multiple alleged ransom notes have been sent to local and national media outlets including TMZ. The FBI has also released footage from Guthrie’s doorbell camera early on Feb. 1, which show a masked figure identified as “a male, approximately 5’9 – 5’10, with an average build.”
All members of the Guthrie family, including “all siblings and spouses,” were quickly ruled out as suspects.
The Pima County Sheriff’s Department shared in a news release Wednesday that $100,000 had been anonymously donated to 88-CRIME, in addition to $2,500 by the anonymous tip line itself.
The FBI’s own offered reward of $100,000 for information leading to the discovery of Guthrie or conviction of her abductors, is separate.
Though Levin said the “first ransom note has really captured [authorities’] ongoing attention,” he clarified that while they’re unsure of the note’s legitimacy, they’ve “forwarded it on to the FBI.”
“I spoke to somebody in the FBI today and they are more than happy for me to say this, which is, if these are hoaxes to get money from the Guthries, this is a federal crime,” said Levin. “They are not playing games with this.”
©2026 New York Daily News. Visit at nydailynews.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.







Comments