California High-Speed Rail CEO Choudri goes on leave after Folsom arrest
Published in News & Features
High Speed Rail Authority CEO Ian Choudri went on leave Tuesday, one day after it was reported that police arrested him and his fiancée earlier this month.
Rail authorities confirmed Monday that they were investigating Choudri after Folsom police arrested him and Lymudila Starostyuk after someone called 911 and accused Starostyuk of pulling Choudri’s daughter’s hair and locking her out of their home.
The Sacramento District Attorney’s Office declined to press charges after police arrested Choudri and Starostyuk on suspicion of misdemeanor battery of a spouse.
Allen Sawyer, Choudri and Starostyuk’s attorney, said neither of them was asked to appear in court and that authorities considered the matter “over.”
Still, Choudri voluntarily agreed to go on leave from the rail authority as of Tuesday, while the rail authority’s parent agency, the California State Transportation Agency, investigates, according to a memo obtained by The Sacramento Bee.
“During this temporary period, Chief of Staff Mark Tollefson will assume responsibility for day-to-day decision-making of the Authority,” High Speed Rail Authority board chair Tom Richards wrote to rail staffers.
“Our work continues without interruption, and our priorities remain unchanged. Thank you for your continued professionalism, focus, and dedication to delivering this important project for the people California.”
A High Speed Rail Authority spokesperson said Choudri was unaware of “any evidence of wrondoing,” and that his leave was of his own volition.
“We are taking this matter seriously, consistent with our longstanding commitment to public responsibility, transparency, and accountability,” the authority said in an email. “The California High-Speed Rail Authority’s work continues without interruption, and our priorities remain unchanged.”
____
©2026 The Sacramento Bee. Visit at sacbee.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.







Comments